Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The First Of Many

For my first entry I thought I would explain my thoughts on why I am doing this and what it's about. I have always enjoyed writing and have wanted to venture into the blog world for a while now.

Back in my sophomore year of college I decided I was a christian feminist. I grew up catholic, was baptized, received first communion and went through confirmation. So being a catholic christian is an identity I have had and known even when I struggled with it. It wasn't until my spring semester of my freshman year I knew what feminism was. I had always been a very independent thinker growing up and never conformed to the norm of what a little girl should think or want. I admired many women in history. All that time I was a feminist, I just didn't understand what that was until I took a Women's Studies class.

So, my sophomore year I converged the two identities and bam! I went on an adventure and wrote a research paper on it complete with interviewing women pastors. I only covered the surface but I educated myself on the topic and decided I was that, a Christian feminist. The rest of my college experience I slowly floated away from going to church and god until I was very frustrated and would not address the issue within myself.

Recently I had the pull to figure things out. I knew I was missing something, something personal. I decided that my time during lent this year, 2010, would be a time to try to peel back the cover to this grid-locked struggle and examine it. My partner is also catholic, so we decided to do it together. I have attended mass every Sunday as well as rereading a book I got my sophomore year of college called My Red Couch. It's about finding your feminist faith.

I created this blog with the intention of just talking about feminism and everything that has to do with it, but it now has turned into that plus Christianity. Not everything I say will always have to do with Christianity, but it will probably almost always have something to do with feminism. I critically analyze most things with a feminist lens. I am not an expert at Christianity, so stay with me as I mix my feminism with it.

No comments: