Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I am a Symbolist, Revisionist and Liberationist. How about you?

Not sure if anyone reads this or checks back. Sorry I have been absent for about a month or so. Life with a job is busy! Funny how that works.

As of recent I have been reading many more books on Christian feminism and the movement in America. The first book I read was called Beyond Anger. Now, most of the books I have been reading are about Catholicism. One chapter was naming examples of categories or groups of catholic feminists. There were: marginalist, loyalist, symbolist, revisionist, and liberationist. The marginalist is said to be one to hold all anger inside until all energy is used to destruct rather than to be creative. They spiritually have nothing and do not know what they want to believe. The loyalist is just what it sounds like. They like tradition and need to be involved in the community. If they ask too many questions, or be too feminist that may threaten their needs. The symbolist focuses on symbols and feminine imagery in the bible. They are thought to be introverted, mystical, impractical and dreamy. The revisionist believes the judeo- christian traditions are more history and culturally based, not theologically. They like to "read between the lines", telling history from the perspective of a woman; reminds me of The Woman's Bible by Elizabeth Cady Stanton. The end goal is reform. Finally we come to the liberationist. They want to transform society through conversion, liberate them. They want society to be able to claim their own lives and claim their experience of God and their place in the church.

I know that is a quick explanation but it's so much longer than that and I have no other idea how to condense such good stuff. I feel like I am a combination of the last three types: symbolist, revisionist and liberationist. I love the whole "have a voice" attitude and claiming your own experiences. I also feel I try to read between the lines of many things, and I definitely am dreamy and spacey and loves symbols and signs in life. I think it is like feminism, there are many different kinds. There are many different kinds of christian feminism, and it just keeps on getting more diverse every day.

No comments: